Music is woven into the fabric of Stoke St Gregory Primary School from daily acts of worship to using songs to learn our times tables.
We are proud of our history of music making and have watched many students take their music into their adult life, both professionally and for sheer enjoyment. Music is taught from Reception to Year 6 on a weekly basis. Our music curriculum is currently lead by Somerset Music Hub.
Music is a universal language that embodies one of the highest forms of creativity. A high quality music education should:
- Engage and inspire pupils to develop a love of music
- Develop their talent as musicians
- Increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement
We provide many opportunities for all the children to listen to a wide range of music, both recorded and live. They are encouraged to respond in a variety of ways, including art, movement and discussion. All children throughout the school are encouraged to explore sound with tuned and un-tuned percussion which leads to composition and improvisation.
This year pupils in Y3 and 4 are learning ukulele. Next year we will learning to be a Samba Band with teaching from the Somerset Music Hub
Singing plays a big role in the overall development of the children’s musical skills. We sing at school and local events.
- School services - Harvest, Nativity / Carol service, Easter service, End of Year celebration
- Around our village and local area - the village fete, Christmas fayre
- Performing at the Tacchi Morris Arts Centre
We are offering music tuition from January 2024